Taking the time up-front to get organized in the office results in a large number of benefits including increased productivity, reduced stress and more time to work on what really matters.
Here are some good ground rules to get you started on your desktop:
- Keep those items that you use frequently within your fingertips reach.
- Keep those items that you use a little less frequently within your arms reach.
- Keep those items that you rarely use somewhere else such as in a supply cabinet, on a shelf or on top of a filing cabinet.
- Assign a home for each task that comes across your desk to live in until you can address them.
- Schedule time into your week to maintain an orderly desktop.
- Clear your desk at the end of each day. This makes such a difference in the way you start your day the next morning.