Recycling doesn’t end when you put your recyclables at the curb. If you follow the tips provided by the St Louis County Health Department listed below, you can make a positive difference:
Look for products made with recycled materials.
- Read labels to make sure you are buying products made with recycled material.
- Try to purchase products made from at least 30% post-consumer recycled material.
- Shop around! Recycled-content products are everywhere.
Shop to reduce waste.
- Buy products that have little or no packaging.
- Minimize waste and energy consumption by buying e-books and MP3 players.
- Purchase energy efficient electronics and appliances.
- Buy only what you need—if you don’t need it, don’t buy it!
Buy products you can reuse.
- Reusable shopping bags and mugs prevent waste and save you money.
- Donate clothes you no longer want to a local charity or give them to friends or family members.
- Use reusable lunch bags, food containers, and drink bottles help.
Pack waste-free lunches by avoiding:
- Disposable, single-use items
- Individual serving-size packages
- Plastic sandwich bags