It’s a great idea to make room for all of the new stuff that you know will be coming in during the holidays. Here are a few simple tips to accomplish that:
- Discard broken toys.
- Donate seldom used toys to someone in need.
- Box up at least half of the toys and store them elsewhere. In six month you can re-introduce them to the children. They’ll feel like it’s Christmas all over again.
- We only wear 20% of our clothes, 80% of the time. Purge and donate the clothes that you never wear.
- Set a limit on how many t-shirts (or other types of clothing) you can have and then donate the excess amount.
- Your closet and drawers should only be filled with clothes that you can currently wear. If your closet is taken over by clothes that you can’t wear, they need to be moved elsewhere (or go!).
- Rid your refrigerator and cabinets of expired foods.
- Create menus using the items you have on hand.
- Be realistic about the amount of glasses, cups, dishes and pots and pans that you really need.