Frequently Asked Questions
These are the questions we get most often. Simply click on the questions below for the answers to be displayed. Don’t see your question here? Drop us a line!
- What is a Professional Organizer?
- Professional organizers use a combination of coaching, teaching and providing hands-on assistance to help individuals declutter and get organized to regain control of their homes, offices and lives. They provide compassionate support to their clients and help them stay focused and motivated during the process. Check out our blog post on this subject for a lengthier description.
- What areas do you work in?
- Our primary service area includes:
Affton, Arnold, Ballwin, Brentwood, Chesterfield, Clarkson Valley, Clayton, Crestwood, Creve Coeur, Des Peres, Ellisville, Eureka, Fenton, Frontenac, Imperial, Kirkwood, Ladue, Manchester, Maplewood, Mehlville, Oakville, Olivette, Richmond Heights, Rock Hill, Shrewsbury, Town and Country, Twin Oaks, Valley Park, Warson Woods, Webster Groves, and Wildwood.
Belleville, Collinsville, Columbia and Swansea.
- How do you schedule and pay for your services?
- We begin every project with a stand alone assessment which normally lasts 30-60 mins. We charge $75 for the assessment and collect payment the same day.
- Professional organizing sessions are booked in 3-hour blocks, and with your choice of 1, 2, 3 or 4 professional organizers.
- A total of 6-hours can be booked in one day, with a 30 minute to 1 hour unpaid lunch break between each 3-hour block.
- Payment by cash, check or credit card is requested at the time of service.
- We require a credit card to reserve your time with us.
- Our fees do not include any organizing products you may need, such as containers or files.
- Will you give me an estimate of how long it will take?
This is by far one of the most common questions we hear when people initially reach out to us for help. Since every person, every space, and the type and amount of stuff involved in any project is unique, there is no way to accurately estimate how long any project will take.
For example, if you were to place two of the same size boxes next to each other, you might assume that they would take the same amount of time to sort through and organize. But in reality each box contains completely different stuff. One box may hold two giant pillows which would only take 30 seconds to unpack and organize. The other box may hold marbles, utensils, games, socks, paperwork, pictures, yard tools, etc. As you can see by this example, everyone’s stuff is unique and therefore there is no honest way of guesstimating how long it will take. After working with us a time or two though, you’ll quickly get an idea of how long your project might take.
- What should I expect?
It may seem that organizing any room, space or filing system would need to be approached in its own unique way. But the reality is that the same steps are always followed, in the same order, regardless of what you might be organizing.
Working with a professional organizer will simplify the process, make it more fun and keep you on task. We will guide you and help you stay focused as we work together to create new customized systems for your home, office and life.
- Assessment (30-60 minutes): We begin every project for a new client with an assessment. This time is spent getting to know each other, talking about what your vision, needs, desires and goals are for the space or tasks that you want to tackle, what’s working and what’s not working. We discuss what the space is primarily used for and how we can tailor it to function best for you. The assessment makes all of the difference in the world to the success of our work together.
- Hands-on Organizing Sessions (3-6 hours): The main role you play in the process is making decisions, we do all of the physical work. We begin the process by sorting everything into categories of like with like items. This makes it easier for you to get a realistic idea of what you have. Next, you decide what items you will keep, donate or recycle. Together we determine the best place for your items or tasks to live based on their use. We guide you in choosing the appropriate size and style container(s) for storing your things. We take the time to talk about new habits that you’ll need to learn to keep things organized, flowing and clutter-free. This step is crucial to your success!
- Who do you work with?
In order to get the best results from our work together, we work with people who are:
- Ready to make a change and committed to the process.
- Ready to do the hard work that is involved in creating change.
- Actively involved during our organizing session together.
- How will I benefit from working with a professional organizer?
- Professional organizers provide hands on help, coaching, guidance and expertise, as well as encouragement & support in a confidential & nonjudgmental atmosphere. We come into your home or office with a fresh pair of eyes and offer new ideas and solutions. We keep clients focused, motivated, and on track, so that they can actually see the results of their work. Clients realize many benefits by working with a professional organizer, some almost immediately (like finding the floor and counter tops again!).
- I’m too embarrassed to call, much less let you in my house. Any advice?
- We completely understand how you are feeling. As a matter of fact, everyone that has ever called us has expressed that they felt the very same way! So the feelings that you are having are very normal. Our services are completely confidential and nonjudgmental. We can assure you that, as professionals, we do not see “the mess” through the same eyes as you see it. We immediately see the possibilities of what it will be. The biggest step is the first one. Say a little prayer, take a deep breath and then call us. You’ll be sorry you put it off so long.
- Shouldn’t I be able to get organized by myself?
- Absolutely not! People of all different backgrounds and ages use professional organizers. Our clients are diverse and so are their needs. They include busy professionals, overworked parents, downsizing seniors, artists, entrepreneurs, people in the midst of life changing transitions, and college students. A professional organizer is similar to other professionals that you use to help you successfully solve life challenges when you are not able to, or simply don’t have the time or energy. Just as you would hire a personal trainer to teach you proper techniques for getting in shape, hiring a professional organizer is an investment in learning how to organize.
- Will you force me to throw everything away?
- The decision about what stays or goes is completely up to you. By taking the time to talk with us about what your goals and vision are for the space at the onset of the process, you’ll be better able to make your decisions based on those goals and vision. Our partnering website The Stuff Stop provides a list of resources that accept donations or recycles those things that you choose to part with.
- What are the benefits of getting organized?
- Increased productivity
- Reduced stress
- Feeling of empowerment
- Save time, money and energy
- Peace of mind
- Greater sense of control
- Find things quicker
- Improved quality of life
- Reduced clutter
- More free time
- Pay bills on time
- What should I do with all of the stuff I don’t want?
At Simplified Living Solutions, Inc., we believe very strongly that your unwanted stuff can make a significant, positive impact on someone’s life, and in the world. By donating your stuff to others, you will not only declutter your own space but you’ll also get to experience the joy of helping others as you declutter your home or office.
Check out our FREE partnering website, The Stuff Stop, for a nationwide list of donation sites that can help you get and stay clutter-free in a responsible, green way that helps others at the same time!
- How can I become a professional organizer?
- If you are interested in joining the exciting professional organizing field but don’t know where to start, you’ll find answers to your burning questions and everything else you need to know about becoming a professional organizer, running your business, working with clients and more at Professional Organizer Boot Camp